Friday, April 10, 2009

One Whole Week Old...



Well, Ann Maxwell is one whole week old, and we just can't believe it. Time has flown by. It seems like only yesterday she was a tiny bump running around band practice with me, and yet it also feels like we can't remember life without her. I know that sounds strange, but it's true. Our first week has been wonderful.

It all began in the operating room when she was delivered. I thought (along with many others) that Chris may not do so well with the visual aspects of the procedure, but he actually stood up and videoed and watched the whole thing. I couldn't believe it! I was so impressed. As she was being delivered the doctor pronounced she didn't have much hair, but had the most beautiful round head he'd ever seen. I knew then that she was going to look like Chris. The Cookes are famous for lots of dark hair, so I knew this little one was probably going to look like Daddy. So she came out and cried the sweetest cry in the world - all tiny six pounds of her. She was vigorous from the beginning and immediately started sucking the nurse's thumb. Chris got to hold her right away. He brought her over to me, and it was just the most surreal feeling. The three of us just sat together and stared at each other like we'd been a trio forever. I announced that yes indeed she looked like her daddy, and I've never seen Chris look happier or more proud. The doctor allowed me to stay away while they sewed me up, and Chris and the baby stayed with me throughout the whole thing and all of recovery. In recovery I really got to bond with her, and Chris got to go to the waiting room and show everyone the video and report that all was well. They put the baby in my arms, and we left recovery to head to the room and meet everyone.

We were very blessed to have an army of supporters there with us that day. My parents, Elise, Chris' parents, Sara, Kathy, Mike, Amelia, and Cathy McClinton were all there waiting in the room for us. Everyone had a great time meeting Ann Maxwell for the first time, holding her, and taking pictures. For the next few days we recovered in the hospital. The baby stayed with us almost all the time, and Chris spent all three nights there with us. Chris was immediately a natural, and took to changing diapers and caring for the baby like a pro. We were pleasantly surprised when Jeremy Powell drove all the way from Atlanta to visit us and meet the littlest Coats. The time in the hospital went really well, and we had excellent care.

We came home on Monday, April 6th, and have been blissfully happy at home ever since. Well, bliss may not describe the sleepless nights because our baby got one thing from her mother... she's a night owl. She has had her days and nights mixed up, and that has been hard. However, we're working on a schedule and adjusting. My mom spent several days with us at first, and that helped a lot! We don't know what we would've done without her! We are having so much fun, though. Ann Maxwell is already changing so much. She is filling out, her complexion is turning rosy, and she's already grown more of that blonde hair. (Someone's going to have to give me some tips on this blonde business!)

Chris goes back to work on Monday, and I don't know who is more upset, me or him. He doesn't want to leave the baby, and I sure don't want to fly solo after so much help at home! I'm sure we'll manage, though, but keep us in your prayers as we continue to adjust. Thanks to all for checking in on us!

2 comments:

  1. She is BEAUTIFUL. I am so excited for ya'll. I can't wait to see more pictures as she grows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is gorgeous, Emily and Chris. We are so excited for y'all, and we are so glad to hear that things are going so well.

    Enjoy every minute; it flies by so quickly.

    ReplyDelete