

I can hardly believe it, but today Ann Maxwell is 5 months old! Like I've said before, time is flying by, and Ann Maxwell seems to grow by the day. It's been a busy month for us, but a good one. As I posted before, Brian and his family came to visit, which was great fun. Shortly after that we all came down with terrible colds. It has kept us rather home-bound recently. Unfortunately, Chris and Ann Maxwell are still feeling the effects of it. Because she can't take any medicine it has been a long two weeks! Chris seems to have gotten the cold for a second time, and, amazingly, I am left unscathed. (Knock on wood!) Anyway, in spite of her cold symptoms Ann Maxwell has remained her usual self, although she now screams and hides her face when she sees me holding a tissue or suction bulb! She is desperate to crawl, and she grunts and screams in frustration when her frantic movements on the floor produce little progress. She continues to teethe and has finally found some relief with a rubber teething ring that kind of looks like a seahorse. I seem to wash it dozens of times a day.
Ann Maxwell's latest fascination (and obsession) is Little Bit. Up until now she has shown little interest in Little Bit and vice versa. However, lately she is mesmerized by our little white cat and desperately wants to be near her and touch her all the time. While Little Bit is less than pleased with this, she is at least tolerant for a few moments before sauntering away. When Little Bit walks by Ann Maxwell stretches out her arms and strains forward with all her might. Her little hands shake in anticipation and she makes a face of pure focus that looks like she's trying to whistle. This has become her body language whenever she wants anything these days. It is so cute!
Ann Maxwell continues to sleep through the night, which is wonderful. However, she never wants to take a nap... ever. This is a daily battle that I continually lose, but she is happy and healthy and goes right to sleep at night, so I can't complain.
The best part of our day is our evening walks. After Chris gets home from work and we eat supper we usually take Ann Maxwell out for a walk. She loves to be outside and is especially interested in our down the street neighbors' trees. The weather has been so lovely that we don't want to come in. When we're walking Ann Maxwell is perfectly content no matter what. She just wants to be outside all the time. I fear I may have an outdoor girl on my hands! Haha!
I'm working on baby-proofing the house, as I know Ann Maxwell will be mobile any minute now. We're looking forward to that milestone, as well as solid foods and actual teeth we can see! I know every milestone is a blessing, but at times I am a little sad to see my sweet baby growing up so fast. She is already an independent spirit who knows what she wants and isn't afraid to express herself. She seems to be fearless and loves new people. She is also showing signs of being thoughtful; she seems to really consider things before she does them. Today we were in Target and I held up two different toys. After staring at them for a few moments Ann Maxwell reached out and felt both of them. She then put her hand in her mouth and thought a minute. She decided on a blue elephant toy, reached out for it, and has played with it all day since. It is just amazing to see her develop! Earlier this month we went to a pediatric opthamologist because we thought the baby had a clogged tear duct. It was a very early morning appointment. When the doctor came in and examined her he said her eyes were fine, but then added that he thought she was very alert (which everyone has said from the beginning) and very bright. He said he could see her considering him when he looked through his lenses, like he could see the wheels in her head turning. I thought that was such a nice thing for him to say. She does always seem to be sizing up everything and everyone! I can't wait to hear what she has to say one day!
Chris is eagerly awaiting Sunday's Ole Miss game vs. Memphis and is predicting glorious feats for the much-hyped Rebels this year. While I don't share his enthusiasm I do hope it is a good season. I just hope to get to see the Band a few times since I have some former students performing this year. We're looking forward to a restful Labor Day, hopefully without the lingering colds. We hope you have a great holiday! Our best to all out there....
No comments:
Post a Comment